Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Whould you buy a set of coustom painted Warhammer pieces?

I Was thinking about trying to sell a set of warhammer or 40k pieces that are custom painted. I would assemble them, prime them, and then sell them on ebay and then paint them before sending them with a scheme chosen by the buyer.Whould you buy a set of coustom painted Warhammer pieces?
I selll painted pieces routinely on eBay, but I make barely 拢1/hour for my efforts. I really only do it (a) to fund my hobby for my own entertainment and (b) to advertise my commission services, which is where the money is.



I should add that, to make money on commissions, you really have to be near the top of the game. I routinely make the Golden Demon finals, although I confess I've never placed, and I'm very much in the bargain-bucket of commission artists. My most recent work was a single miniature conversion/paintjob that set my client back 拢300, plus parts. That took me the best part of 50 hours' work, so I still only made about 拢6/hour (or a little more than minimum wage).
Try posting a sign at local hobby shop (they should let you) and let people know what you're about. I used to buy armies, paint them, play them at shops/tournements until I got bored and would sell the whole lot. Many hobby shops will let you sell miniatures on a consignment basis. In other words, they get a cut of the price (if it sells) to display them in the store.



Don't do Ebay. There are many listings for "pro-painted" miniatures on ebay, and I don't know who considered many of these people "pros" but the paint job usually sucks.Whould you buy a set of coustom painted Warhammer pieces?
I tried this one time and its not worth it. To do a paint job worthy of calling professional, you have to invest way too much time to be profitable. I had more fun when I found people who played but didnt like to paint, and painted single pieces for them, I usually charged double what the model sold for to begin with. They wound up having me paint their whole armies, a little at a time, and I made way more $ that way. Their friends see them this way as well, and then you get more customers!
I think the problem is that there are a lot of people already doing that. However they tend to want to specify how they are built and painted. Unless you are close to master class any paint job you put on something only decreases its valueWhould you buy a set of coustom painted Warhammer pieces?
Nope, but someone might be into that stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment